Did you need a myq gateway to make alarm.com work with myq?

Hi I recently moved into a new home and that has a “myq wifi” opener already installed. However, it doesn’t function with a gateway. It simply works with the myq app over wifi. With that said, I believe you still need a gateway to be able to integrate it with alarm.com. Am I correct in assuming this? Seems like alarm.com doesn’t have the ability to function with these newer units that function without a gateway. Will I need to add a gateway to make it work?

Not necessarily. If the overhead unit says MyQ Wifi and connects directly to wifi its likely compatible with Alarm.com by itself. What is the make/ model number? Have you tired pairing it in to your Alarm.com account?

Model number 8360WL. I tried pairing with no luck.

Wifi overhead models of MyQ opener like the 8360WL act as their own gateway. The only purpose of the Gateway is to act as the bridge for the device to your internet. Wifi models do not need this.

You would add the 8360 MyQ Serial number to your account by navigating to Settings - Devices - Automation Devices - Add Liftmaster Device at the bottom. If you already have one Gateway on the account, your service provider would need to add this second serial number.

Thanks for the info, Jason. That is super helpful. I currently have it set up with the MyQ app. I was reading in some other threads. Will I need to unlink it from MyQ for it to work with Alarm.com?

Yes it can only be linked to one at a time.