Can I Use a DW10 to Monitor Garage?

can Dw-10 be used to monitor garage door?I just need to know its opening and closing

This page goes over the best options for monitoring a garage overhead door.

In short, I would not recommend trying to use the reed switch of a DW10. The DW10 can be used as a transmitter for a hardwired garage overhead door sensor.

I use the DW10 as the sensor for my attached Garage Door (wired into a $15 reed switch). I have had it since 2011, very dependable, and not one false alarm.

For obtaining the reed switch see:

Programming DW10:

We tend to use our garage as ventilation and have sometimes left it open all night. Sometimes we only want to crack it open. I am thinking of getting a reed switch with 3 wires to report NO and NC and hooking to a Resolution 201 that has two outputs. Then I would be able to determine it is actually closed or open (but not how much it is open) from the alarm system with the GC2 panel wont I?
Looking at the SM-226L-3Q by Seco-Larm because it is the first one I found, there may be others.
Hate to buy it if I am not thinking correctly.
Have been DIY for less than a month, so appreciate the help

We tend to use our garage as ventilation and have sometimes left it open all night. Sometimes we only want to crack it open. I am thinking of getting a reed switch with 3 wires to report NO and NC and hooking to a Resolution 201 that has two outputs. Then I would be able to determine it is actually closed or open (but not how much it is open) from the alarm system with the GC2 panel wont I?

Just as clarification, NO vs NC is just the state of the circuit at rest, you would use one of those states based on the device input you are connecting it to. (The RE201 sensor only accepts NC)

A NC zone is either open or closed. You don’t need two zones to provide those two statuses.

A sensor with both NC and NO wiring options just means it can be hooked up to either type of circuit, but you wouldn’t use both.

Looking at the SM-226L-3Q by Seco-Larm because it is the first one I found, there may be others.

That model would be fine along with an RE201. We sell the 4532L.

I have been successful in using a RE201 with a reed switch for an outdoor fence gate and need to implement another farther away. It looks as though a Honeywell 5816WMWH is the same? Might it have more range as well? I run through a GC2 panel

Thanks

I assume you’re using the external contact input and keeping the RE201 in a waterproof enclosure?

I doubt the Honeywell 5816 would have a longer range than the RE201. You may need to use an Alula RE524X repeater to extend the range. How far would it be from the panel?

yes the Re201 is in a waterproof enclosure. I am wanting to set up another similar switch in the opposite direction. I currently have a DW10 thin on my office door that works fine to the existing panel. The Re201 or Honeywell 5816 would be on a shed door about 16 feet farther from the panel than the DW10 that is operating now. Does that comparison help? I can do another Re201 however the Honeywell 5816 is a bit cheaper (if there is no difference)

It’s hard to say on the distance. But 16 feet isn’t a lot further for a security sensor. Is it going through an additional wall? If you have sensor that you can easily move, take it out there and see if it works well in that location. If not, maybe just order the transmitter from a place with a good return policy and test the range before you actually install it. If it doesn’t work well, return it.

I don’t know which will work better between the RE201 and 5816. The main thing you should look at is operating temperature in the specs since this is going outside. I’d pick the one with more appropriate operating temperature based on the weather in your location.

Thanks. I forgot about the temp. We are Central Tx so not to cold. I can move the office door sensor and see> Is that comparable to one of the Re201 or the 5816?

I would expect them to transmit with the same power and therefore have the same range. But I don’t see transmit power in either of their spec sheets to verify that.

Thanks for the recent help. Unfortunately I went out to see what connections were used on my Re201 connected to the gate reed switch and pulled the wires out before I could see which I was connected to. There is an A, B, and Grnd. Hooked up to my 2 GIG GC2 panel. Which terminals do I use?.

I want to gate to notify, but not to arm/alarm and can you please let me see the settings for the GC2 panel using the RE201 with reed switch?

The wires would connect to either A and Gnd or B and Gnd, depending on the loop used. (you would typically use A and Gnd for the first or only sensor).

For a notification only sensor it should be programmed as a Sensor Type (23) No Response Type

A video showing how to use this exact setup on a Gate, with install and programming: