Building a House - Need help configuring best alarm/automation setup

So I currently just converted from Frontpoint to SuretyDIY - Love all the features in Alarm.com that FrontPoint didnt support and that SuretyDIY does.

I currently have the Qolsys Panel that I plan to bring over to the new house (Or will upgrade to the Qolsys V2 that comes out in Fall).

THE HOUSE:
It will be 2 stories with a basement. Break ground in June 2016, finishes in May 2016.

DOOR/WINDOW SENSORS:
For sensors, I don’t have a need to transfer my existing ones. Since building new, it is better to use a hardwires sensor to a Qolsys Wire 16, or will all Qolsys Wireless Sensors be fine?
Which sensor is the best to use (Model # of either hardwire or wireless)?

Automatic WINDOW BLINDS/SHADES:
I would like to have automatic blinds/shades in the master bedroom and in the living room. I feel that hardwire is no brainer here. What voltage do blinds take? How is it wired up? I’ve read something about Lutron having something. Where do I buy compatible blinds, who has a system, how does this all work? Kind of blind in this area.

GARAGE DOOR:
Will simply use liftmaster gateway with liftmaster garage motor, this one is easy. Add a tilt sensor to garage door.

SMOKE/CARBON MONOXIDE:
I was thinking of going with the wired Nest smoke alarms since they are so much more intelligent, better looking, have pathway lighting, etc. for all the required detectors. Then, just adding an alarm.com compatible ones on each floor for alarm notification. Is this the best way to go here?

THERMOSTATS:
Currently I have the Trane TZEMT400BB3’s. Should I just bring these over to the new house? They seem to be the best out of the other z-wave thermostats. I would really like to go with something snazzier - like Nest. I heard a Nest version is compatible, but only support adjusting temp up and down, none of the smart controls. Will there be better integration later on? Is the latest v3 of Nest the compatible one? Are there cooler things on the horizon.

DOOR LOCKS:
Have a kwikset now. The Yale touchpad looks like the one I will go with on the new home. Use for front door and door to garage. Guessing most brands are just preference here?

OTHER:
I plan to use Qolsys doorbell, Flood Sensor for the basement, glass break for rear glass window, maybe image motion sensor here and there? Anything I am missing?

CAMERAS:
Would like to have one at the front door. I have a couple Nest cams I use for baby monitors. I plan to just use those on the interior. Should I ditch and go with an alarm.com compatible one in place?

It sounds like I can schedule blinds automation, get notifacitons, etc all through alarm.com. Is there any real reason to blow big dollars on Control4 or such systems? Sounds like alarm.com will do what I need, and good harmony one will take care of my media needs.

Thanks for all the help!

For sensors, I don’t have a need to transfer my existing ones. Since building new, it is better to use a hardwires sensor to a Qolsys Wire 16, or will all Qolsys Wireless Sensors be fine? Which sensor is the best to use (Model # of either hardwire or wireless)?

This will come down to cost. If your builder can pre-wire all the windows and doors, it would very likely be more cost effective to do so.

Hardwire sensors are less model dependent and more dependent on proper installation and positioning. A poorly aligned magnet/sensor can cause a lot of headaches later. Recessed D/W wired contacts are typically fairly cheap.

I would like to have automatic blinds/shades in the master bedroom and in the living room. I feel that hardwire is no brainer here. What voltage do blinds take? How is it wired up? I’ve read something about Lutron having something. Where do I buy compatible blinds, who has a system, how does this all work? Kind of blind in this area.

This is one option.

Another that you mention, Lutron, would be a great option if you are planning to take advantage of lighting as well. Lutron RadioRa2 can be integrated with your ADC app. You can see components available here.

Lutron RadioRa2 is usually licensed dealer-only installation. It is pretty popular, so a number of local electrical companies likely have licensed installers. You can ask your builder about it as well, as they should be able to help.

I was thinking of going with the wired Nest smoke alarms since they are so much more intelligent, better looking, have pathway lighting, etc. for all the required detectors. Then, just adding an alarm.com compatible ones on each floor for alarm notification. Is this the best way to go here?

As a new build, you are likely to have interconnected AC powered detectors installed by code. So you could use all of them with a single Firefighter Sensor.

Currently I have the Trane TZEMT400BB3’s. Should I just bring these over to the new house? They seem to be the best out of the other z-wave thermostats. I would really like to go with something snazzier – like Nest. I heard a Nest version is compatible, but only support adjusting temp up and down, none of the smart controls. Will there be better integration later on? Is the latest v3 of Nest the compatible one? Are there cooler things on the horizon.

Your existing Tranes are Qolsys compatible so yes, you could just use those.

Nest does have less functionality but is integrated through the back-end. It does not speak with any of your other equipment directly. AFAIK any nest will do.

The ADC T2000 is Alarm.com’s main focus, with some big additions and changes with firmware coming up.

Have a kwikset now. The Yale touchpad looks like the one I will go with on the new home. Use for front door and door to garage. Guessing most brands are just preference here?

For the most part, yes. There was a period where compatibility was a big concern with Schlage, but those issues were addressed by firmware and haven’t crept up for a while.

I would recommend sticking with 10-button locks over 5-button for security reasons.

Would like to have one at the front door. I have a couple Nest cams I use for baby monitors. I plan to just use those on the interior. Should I ditch and go with an alarm.com compatible one in place?

It sounds like I can schedule blinds automation, get notifacitons, etc all through alarm.com. Is there any real reason to blow big dollars on Control4 or such systems? Sounds like alarm.com will do what I need, and good harmony one will take care of my media needs.

ADC is releasing compatibility with the Skybell HD, new model of Skybell doorbell camera. Good option for the front door. View visitors and communicate with them through the app.

If you would like to use ADC cloud video, it does require compatible cams (nest ones won’t work)

Control4 will have more features, but of course is very expensive and if what you are going to use is covered in ADC, I would of course use ADC. :slight_smile:

This will come down to cost. If your builder can pre-wire all the windows and doors, it would very likely be more cost effective to do so.

Hardwire sensors are less model dependent and more dependent on proper installation and positioning. A poorly aligned magnet/sensor can cause a lot of headaches later. Recessed D/W wired contacts are typically fairly cheap.

The builder has a package that installs a wired alarm system with DSC panel. I haven’t reached out to get specifics on what sensors will be where. I’d like to dictate the entire system build to their installer. It sounds like I can have them use their standard wired sensors, but have them run it to a Qolsys Wire16 to communicate with my Qolsys panel?

This is one option.

Another that you mention, Lutron, would be a great option if you are planning to take advantage of lighting as well. Lutron RadioRa2 can be integrated with your ADC app. You can see components available here.

Lutron RadioRa2 is usually licensed dealer-only installation. It is pretty popular, so a number of local electrical companies likely have licensed installers. You can ask your builder about it as well, as they should be able to help.

Are there any other options? Or are these 2 the main ones?

As a new build, you are likely to have interconnected AC powered detectors installed by code. So you could use all of them with a single Firefighter Sensor.

The nest smoke/carbon monoxide alarms are all interconencted. I know they have voice instructions. I imagine they also have an audible alarm sound inbetween, and that audio alarm should work with Firefighter sensor?

The ADC T2000 is Alarm.com’s main focus, with some big additions and changes with firmware coming up.

I was looking into this a month or so ago. The alarm.com thermostat just looked stupid to me. (not aesthetically, but functionally). You had to go over and push a button every time you wanted to see the temperature?! (Thank goodness this will be resolved with a firmware update). I notice my Trane has a ton of selectable options on screen, and you can easily access the installer menu with a plethora of install settings, adjustments, etc. The alarm.com one seemed to lack any type of advanced settings such as duration for fan interval and things of that nature. Does it support all these type of things elsewhere? The only advantage I saw was that it used Z-wave plus for better distance.

Thanks for all the help!

It sounds like I can have them use their standard wired sensors, but have them run it to a Qolsys Wire16 to communicate with my Qolsys panel?

You can indeed. The hardwire to wireless modules are pretty commonly used in new build situations.

Are there any other options? Or are these 2 the main ones?

Alarm.com does not have officially supported Z-wave blind control options/user interface control yet. These two we know currently work.

I imagine they also have an audible alarm sound inbetween, and that audio alarm should work with Firefighter sensor?

I have not tried or heard of anyone using the Firefighter with Nest Protect detectors, but if interconnected, then if the local sounder produces the proper smoke alarm cadence it should work.

Does it support all these type of things elsewhere?

The ADC-T2000 advanced and installer controls are found in the Alarm.com website on the T-stat card. Settings have through now been set remotely. Firmware is adding more local configuration options to the t-stat.

Hunter Douglas is another option, if you’re looking for remote controlled blinds (the system is called PowerView). I had the original version, which was more like a stand alone version (it had an RF and IR remote though, so it was somewhat possible to control via other systems, but required some gluing of different systems together). Fast forward 5 years, and now they’ve added a central hub, with compatibility for all sorts of home automation systems out of the box (Nest, Harmony, Control4, Savant, etc…).

Not sure if that fits your needs, but they have a very wide range of shades for US market, and I was very happy with their original system (I’m sure it’s only gotten better). It’s easy to retrofit too: no hard wiring required, can be stand-alone off battery, although you have to replace batteries about every 6-12 months.