Bluetooth Issues

I have a Qolsys IQ2+ and have BlueTooth enabled on two iPhones. Generally, it works fine, disarming the system as I pull in the driveway, which is great. I also have a rule set in Alarm.com automation to turn on the outside lights and one indoor light when the system is disarmed after sundown and leave them on for 20 minutes. This is also ideal.

Unfortunately, it has also been acting strangely. For example, my wife left her phone home the last two nights as we were both out to dinner parties. When we returned, not only did my phone, apparently not disarm the system, but the rule did not run. In the history logs, there were entries that my wife’s phone (the one at home) disarmed the system (which is troubling) about an hour after we left the house. I did not notice this when we arrived home (that the system was actually disarmed) Usually, I also run a ‘Home’ scene to adjust the thermostat (which will not work under the rule), and I would have expected the system to already be disarmed via the BlueTooth function.

Besides this issue, I am thinking that this is not the way to accomplish this task? On a previous occasion, when my wife was away while I was at home, I tested the BlueTooth by arming the system while I was in the house. When she arrived, her phone (BlueTooth) did not disarm the system. I wonder if that was because I had it armed as ‘stay’, not ‘away’. Her phone has disarmed the system in the past via the BlueTooth.

I should point out that I do not yet have the alarm.com app installed on her phone. Only the BlueTooth function enabled within Alarm.com.

I’ve tried the Geo-Fence function as a possible solution, but the minimum radius is a bit wide for this neighborhood, which we can easily exit and re-enter, and then again exit on a given trip. The Lutron app, which controls most of the lights, might be an option, and it has a much smaller radius for its Geo-Fence.

Any thoughts, and/or suggestions?

Thanks.

I tested the BlueTooth by arming the system while I was in the house. When she arrived, her phone (BlueTooth) did not disarm the system. I wonder if that was because I had it armed as ‘stay’, not ‘away’.

Correct, this is a feature used to disarm when the system is armed away, specifically.

As far as suggestions regarding bluetooth, I generally recommend caution.

Bluetooth disarming is a convenient feature, but there are security issues with it mainly because it is hard to predict the usage habits of everyone in the home when it comes to their phone. Because it doesn’t require any input from a user, it can result in situations like you described. This is more problematic if you automatically unlock doors via a rule.

The panel cannot actually tell that a phone left the home and returned. It can only see if a phone’s bluetooth disconnected and reconnected. There are many reasons this might happen beyond leaving. Restarting the phone, updates, interference, manually turning off and on bluetooth, etc.

If armed away, any of the above can disarm the panel unexpectedly, as can potentially walking outside to the car and loading up stuff from the garage, or deciding to turn around and check the mail before leaving, etc., depending on your home’s layout.

I should point out that I do not yet have the alarm.com app installed on her phone. Only the BlueTooth function enabled within Alarm.com.

Bluetooth disarming is a unique function of the IQ Panel 2+. If you are having trouble and not getting the expected results due to phone activity, I would recommend looking into using a scene to do everything you need when returning home. If you already use one to adjust the thermostat, you could also disarm and adjust lights with the same command.

Thank you for the thorough explanation.

From this, it is clear that the BlueTooth feature will not work if a phone is often left behind in an ‘armed away’ scenario. So for my wife, I am stuck with her having to disarm the system at the panel, since she often does not have her phone with her, and she will not use a scene if she does have it.

I’ll need to get the lights turned on for her via the Geo-Fence. Apparently, this requires the app to be on her phone to function, since I do not see her phone when I set up the rule.

And, after I added the app, I still do not see her phone. Is it necessary to create her own login to Alarm.com to make this happen? Right now, she is logged in on my account.

Follow up on my previous comment.

I successfully created a new login for her, and her phone now appears in the rule setup. Of course, I had to create a new, separate, rule for her.

I also deleted her BlueTooth connection from the panel.

This appears to be the solution.

Thanks again.

And, after I added the app, I still do not see her phone. Is it necessary to create her own login to Alarm.com to make this happen? Right now, she is logged in on my account.

No, a unique login is helpful in many cases but not required here. You would need to enable Geoservices under the App menu on her phone. (Same for push notifications if those are desired).

Her phone would then show up as a Geo-Device which can be selected for Alarm.com rules.