Best thermostat for GC3 / alarm.com ?

I am looking at putting together a 2Gig GC3 system for a new house I’m moving into. I was looking at using the ADC-T2000 thermostat with it, but the site notes that it is not compatible with the GC3. Is this still the case, and if so, what other options are recommended to use with the GC3 and alarm.com?

Thanks,
Alan

Is this still the case, and if so, what other options are recommended to use with the GC3 and alarm.com?

With Launch firmware it is not compatible, however with the latest 3.0.1 the ADC-T2000 is indeed compatible with the GC3. Thanks for pointing that out, I’ve sent a notice to our team.

I swear by my Radio Thermostat CT80, but I don’t know if it works with GC3. Basically the only reason to go with this over the ADC panel is that the CT80 has humidity control. If the ADC-T2000 adds humidity control I would probably switch to that for the remote temp sensors.

If you are interested in the CT80 make sure you get the latest hardware revision. https://suretyhome.com/forums/topic/adding-a-ct80-thermostat/page/2/

Humidity Control is on its way.

See the upcoming release notes here.

I have to admit that I still prefer the old 2gig CT-100. https://www.amazon.com/2gig-CT100-Z-Wave-Programmable-Thermostat/dp/B008CQ4V3Q/ref=pd_sbs_421_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B008CQ4V3Q&pd_rd_r=VHV9KJW7VJF5SRB4NVXA&pd_rd_w=Ud7Dq&pd_rd_wg=59kPI&psc=1&refRID=VHV9KJW7VJF5SRB4NVXA

It works great and has a much more informative and interactive display than the T2000. No humidity control, though. However, I am not certain 2gig is producing them anymore, although they are still available from Amazon. They work fine with my GC3.

I just realized that the 2Gig CT100 is probably just an older version of the new RT CT100.

Thanks for suggesting the CT80, Ben. It looks like it has great features. As the CT100 works with the GC3, I would think there is a reasonable chance that the CT80 will too, but I certainly haven’t tried it.

I still use a CT100 in my home as well. It is however discontinued. Most new thermostat features through Alarm.com will feature the ADC-T2000.

Thanks Jason. Well I said I would switch over to the T2000 if it got humidity control, looks like I’ll have to do that. Even if I might be able to get remote humidity display with my CT80, I would be surprised if it ever gets remote humidity control.

Do you know if there will be rules for humidity control that can trigger on outdoor temperature? This is the main thing I would want because in the winter if it gets too cold outside, we have to manually turn down the humidity to prevent excessive condensation.

Do you know if there will be rules for humidity control that can trigger on outdoor temperature?

I’m not aware of any specifics regarding rules at this time. We will know more next week and can make any feature requests should what you are looking for not be immediately available.

I need to replace at least one of my CT100’s (got smashed during new counter install) and I am considering the CT80. I don’t like the ADC1000 because of the minimal display. Has anyone used the CT80 with the GC3? Any problems? My CT100’s work fine with the GC3, so I am hoping the CT80 will too.

as anyone used the CT80 with the GC3?

No, but I use one with a GC2. Short version is make sure you get hardware revision B and the newest version of the ZWave module and it should work (with the GC2). I can’t speculate on GC3 compatibility, seems like it should work but I’m not basing that on anything.

With the CT80 I like:

• You can set the fan to cycle for a few minutes every hour to keep the air circulating.
  • You can set how many degrees temp variation you are willing to tolerate before heating/cooling kicks in – this does increase efficiency.
  • It has little orange/green/blue lights on the panel to indicate heat/fan/cool. So we can always tell what function the HVAC is performing.
  • Humidity control

Don’t like:

• No remote temp sensors
  • Probably never get remote humidity control

See also https://suretyhome.com/forums/topic/adding-a-ct80-thermostat/page/2/

Five months ago, I asked

Do you know if there will be rules for humidity control that can trigger on outdoor temperature? This is the main thing I would want because in the winter if it gets too cold outside, we have to manually turn down the humidity to prevent excessive condensation.

Now ADC is saying this about their new thermostat

Our smart thermostat understands humidity levels in your home, and can help you combat the formation of mold. Mold can form in a range of climates, can cause health issues, and typically costs several thousand dollars to clean up. Alarm.com intelligently balances humidity and temperature set points to help keep your home environment that comfortable for your family but inhospitable for mold.

Great minds think alike! I will probably buy it just for this feature, depending on cost.

Trying to get some more details about it, definitely excited to see the Gen 2 version. Of particular interest are the HVAC monitoring notifications tracking usage and notifying when the HVAC is inefficient and possibly in need of maintenance.

Looks like some pretty great features. Might even get me to overlook its lack of a useful display interface. Any idea when we might see these commercially available?

Hit send too quick. Are there limitations on the HVAC equipment this will work with? That is, do you lose some of the features if you don’t have a new AC?

No tech specs available yet, but obviously if there is no humidifier you would lose some humidity control options. Humidity can be balanced down with just an AC however. Specific details about the Gen 2 should be available soon. Some features would be hardware independent.

I believe I saw a Spring 2018 release projection.

Any update on the GEN 2 to Alarm.com thermostat ? Suppose to release this month. I have been holding off on upgrading for it’s release.

There is an update on this. The spring release projection appears to be a bit premature. While no specific ETA has been given, it would appear that this is looking to be a Fall 2018 release.

Any update on this? I think we are now about a year past the early release estimates.

There is no ETA quite yet, but we expect it to actually be soon. It is undergoing testing at the moment, so it shouldn’t be too long before release.