Support Forum

Automating a driveway gate

Support Automating a driveway gate

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Russel
    Participant

I have a driveway gate that has operators on it, I would like to have the ability to open/close the gate via my ADC setup. It seems that the options are to treat it like a garage door, and it appears the two options are to use a Z-wave garage controller or the LiftMaster MyQ setup. I currently have a MyQ Smart Garage Hub setup to control my garage door.

It seems that my best option is likely to use a magnetic reed switch and solder that to bypass the tilt ball switch in the MyQ second door sensor, and then to just extend the wire such that the I can store the sensor in my weatherproof gate control enclosure and then just work through the hoops to add it in as a 2nd garage door.

Am I correct in thinking this is the most straight forward route? I realize some of the safety implications of remotely operated gates, the gate does have lockout sensors that should prevent it from ever closing on someone/something. It would just be handy to have the option of remotely opening the gate for guests and deliveries, we will soon have remote live visual coverage via cameras.

If I go this route, what is the process to add a second garage door to a MyQ Smart Garage Hub that is already integrated to ADC? IF I just manually add it via the Hub itself, will ADC detect that there is a 2nd garage door present and allow control of it? Or would I need to work with customer service to remove and re-enroll the hub entirely?

Jason
    Jason
    Surety

There are some prior threads regarding this which may assist here, and here.

There is no accepted or official retrofit option for Gate controls through Liftmaster that I know of. The way to gain MyQ Gate control would be to swap the opener for a MyQ enabled opener.

What model of gate control do you have currently?

Russel
    Participant

My gate has a Linear receiver on it that is HomeLink compatible and should work with the existing MyQ that I have, the issue is that there is no “sensor” that is made for gates that works with this. My thought is to modify the sensor, remove the existing tilt switch and replace it with a magnetic NO/NC switch that matches what the sensor expects. I would then place the sensor in my gate controller enclosure and extend a wire to the leading edge of the gate to allow the magnetic switch to function so that the MyQ can read the gate status.

I think it will take me 10 minutes to hack the sensor, I just need to get info as to how to add a 2nd “Garage” to my existing ADC enrolled MyQ 🙂

LiftMaster’s gate operators were not an option for my installation, however I have seen gate/operator vendors selling pre-hacked kits as I describe.

Tyler
    Tyler
    Surety

I strongly discourage physically hacking or modifying a sensor meant to detect the position of a heavy moving object reliant on strict safety features. I cannot recommend this solution.

You can add a new garage door through the Alarm.com website. Settings -> Devices -> LiftMaster Installation

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Log in or register here.

Value Proposition

Your home is your domain.
Connecting you with it is ours.

Learn about Surety whole home automation and security.

Just need cameras? Check out Surety 24/7 AI powered video.

Whether you’re a security system novice or a seasoned pro, everything we do is designed to make monitoring your Surety Home incredibly simple and enjoyable.

Guy Relaxing in Chair
New title
Five out of five star rating.

“Could not recommend enough. The service is excellent and the price is unbeatable. We switched from another company where we felt like we were being taken advantage of; but not with Surety! This has been the best move for home security.”

Melissa C. , Citrus Heights, CA , Yelp , 4/26/2018
Five out of five star rating.

“I was able to setup my whole home security system in an afternoon. It’s worked great ever since… I installed my system over a year ago, and Surety has stood the test of time. I would highly recommend them to friends and family.”

Dallas L. , Austin, TX , Yelp , 12/03/2014
View more
Plans

We offer plans to fit everybody’s needs.

Shop Plans

No products in the cart.