Automatic lights when deadbolt is unlocked

DIY Home Security Forums Technical Support Automatic lights when deadbolt is unlocked

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Tyler Tyler 5 days, 8 hours ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

ishaul01
    Participant

All,

I am trying to turn on specific lights when my Kwikset 916 with Z wave plus is unlocked. I think the way this has to be done is to disarm the panel when the lock is unlocked. Then based on the panel disarming turn on the lights. I set these rules up, however the lights do not turn on. I did notice today that there is a message on the panel screen saying something about not being in a state to allow a disarm of the panel. I think that the rules are stopping here and not turning the lights on. Do I need to arm the panel automatically when the lock is locked? Is there a way to do this without arming the panel? Is there a way to make this rule only run when the lock is unlocked from the keypad and not the turn inside?

Tyler
    Tyler
    Surety

The first rule, the lock is unlocked and that in turn disarms the panel. The second rule would then trigger off of the panel disarming thereby turning on the lights. The second rule is looking for a panel disarm in order to turn on the light. The panel would have to change states in order for the light automation to work. If the panel is already disarmed prior to the command, the state doesn’t change. The panel would need to be armed prior to unlocking the lock for this automation scheme to work.

Was the panel disarmed prior to unlocking the lock? Did you try arming the panel first, then unlocking the lock? Does the second rule then fire as intended?

Is there a way to make this rule only run when the lock is unlocked from the keypad and not the turn inside?

No the only way to automate the lights related to the locks status would be with two automation rules, the way you have it set up now. Lights could be automated by panel arming status, or by geo-fence crossing as well.

ishaul01
    Participant

Thank you for your reply. The panel was disarmed at the time the rule tried to disarm it. I think that is what is causing the confusion in the panel. Can I just create another rule to automatically arm the panel when the front door is locked?

I am working on installing a take over panel from 2gig to the wired security system on my house. The windows and doors are linked to this. On my back door there is not an automated lock. If I was to install the take over panel would that set the alarm off if I opened the back door without disarming the panel? Is the only other option to not set off the alarm to install a Z wave lock on the back door?

Another question is how can I pair the 2GIG-TAKE-345 to my GC3 panel? I can make the LED turn on to learn a new zone, but I can not figure out how to connect it to the GC3? Are they compatible?

Tyler
    Tyler
    Surety

Can I just create another rule to automatically arm the panel when the front door is locked?

Yes you can! Automation Event Triggered Rule can be created to arm your panel whenever your lock is locked. You can choose the states Stay or Away and choose the time of day, or always, when this rule functions.

If I was to install the take over panel would that set the alarm off if I opened the back door without disarming the panel? Is the only other option to not set off the alarm to install a Z wave lock on the back door?

If utilizing a hardwired sensor at the back door, this would trigger the alarm should the panel be armed. You can always disarm the panel remotely via the Alarm.com app. You can also program entry delay to give you time to disarm the panel locally after entering the back door.

Adding a Z-Lock would allow you to create a rule identical to the one mentioned above.

Another question is how can I pair the 2GIG-TAKE-345 to my GC3 panel? I can make the LED turn on to learn a new zone, but I can not figure out how to connect it to the GC3? Are they compatible?

Yes they are compatible. This video shows how to set up a Take-345 with a GC2 but steps would be similar.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.