Alarm.com Remote Temperature Sensor Reporting Time

Is it possible to configure the remote temp sensor so that it polls for temp more often? I notice that it takes a while for the sensor to report back the current temperature and shut the heat off.

The RTS is a wake-up device so to speak. As it is battery operated it does not communicate as often as other Z-Wave devices as a means to conserve battery life. Additionally, the RTS does not respond to polling, the device is designed to send a signal when the temperature shifts a full degree one way or the other. This is something that cannot be changed.

How long does the does the system take to shut off after the RTS reports a change?

Hello Tyler,

I can’t quite tell if it’s that the heat is not shutting off once the temp is reached or if it’s taking the sensor a long time to send detect the change and send it back.

It seems that using this sensor in comparison to my nest thermostat, the same room tends to overheat by 3 to 4 degrees over the target temp. It’s also feels like it takes longer to detect that the room is now at the temp for the heat to turn on. Is there any way to adjust the sensor to communicate a bit more?

If you believe the sensor may not be reporting accurately or timely, it could be a communication issue. Try deleting the RTS from the system, then relearn.

Unlike most other compatible devices, the RTS must be learned in via NWI, which means it must be learned in while it is in its permanent location and all other repeating devices, at least those closer, should be learned in first.

It also does not participate in Network Rediscovery, so removing and relearning is the way to go to fix comm issues.