Help Forum

Alarm.com Amazon Echo integration

Support Alarm.com Amazon Echo integration

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 114 total)
  • Author

Ben
    Participant

Keith, great detective work.

Jason, if you are able to get the URL and are not able to post the it publicly I would appreciate a direct message as well.

Thanks!

Keith
    Participant

Ok I did send an e-mail to Alarm.com in the chance they could help. And surprise they did respond. Below is their reply.

Thank you for contacting Alarm.com.

We are currently working to integrate with Amazon’s Smart Home skill, but that feature is not currently supported, and at this time we do not have any information for when it will be fully integrated. For now, you will want to use the Alarm.com skill to control your devices through Amazon Echo. In order to set up this skill, follow the instructions below:

1. Connect Echo to your Amazon account and your WiFi.
    3. Log into the Alexa App. User credentials are the same as the Amazon.com credentials.
    4. Go to Menu > Skills > Search for Alarm.com.
    5. On the Alarm.com skill, select “Enable Skill”
    6. Enter your Alarm.com account login credentials.

We apologize for any confusion this situation has caused. Please let us know if you have any additional questions.

Sincerely,
    Alarm.com CORE

Of course now I need to find out why. When I use the Alarm.com skill instead of Smart Home. I use the command “Alexa, ask Alarm dot com to turn on Lamp One” and she replies “I couldn’t find any Thermostats on your account.” The joys of being on the bleeding edge of technology. 🙂

Jason
    Jason
    Surety

I am awaiting a call from an emPower tech there, but I anticipate the same response.

Bleeding edge typically has a wound or two.

I’ll see if I can get an ETA on being integrated into Amazon Smart Home Skill set.

I use the command “Alexa, ask Alarm dot com to turn on Lamp One” and she replies “I couldn’t find any Thermostats on your account.

Hmm, this happens every time or intermittently? Support is a little thin given how new it is, but let me see if ADC can take a look at this and find out if the issue is on their end.

Keith
    Participant

Jason,

The “I couldn’t find any Thermostats on your account.” happens every time. Doesn’t matter what light I ask to turn on or off. And just to let you know I have no z-wave Thermostats in my house, so I’m not using that ability it Alarm.com.

Ben
    Participant

Kevin – does the command appear correctly in your Alexa history? (To see if the command is being recognized correctly)

Also I might suggest removing and r-eadding the skill since it seems they’ve changed it on the backend since you first added it.

Jason
    Jason
    Surety

I’ve been told that stating “light” at the end of your command should resolve this issue. (I’m a little dubious, but let’s try it)

so, “Alexa, tell Alarm.com to turn on lamp one light”

Any change?

Keith
    Participant

Ok, so I used the command “Alexa, ask Alarm.com to turn on lamp one light” and she said she was unable to find that light it my device list.

So I renamed “Lamp One” to “TV Lamp” and now it works when I say “Alexa, ask Alarm.com to turn on TV Lamp.”

So I tried “Alexa, tell Alarm.com to turn on cabinet” and she replied with the “I couldn’t find any Thermostats on your account.” so I tried the “Alexa, ask Alarm.com to turn on cabinet light” and it worked.

So I wanted to see if she could turn on groups of lights. So I used the “Alexa, ask Alarm.com to turn on indoor lights” and she says she can’t find that in the device list. Even though I have a group called “Indoor Lights”.

I guess she is just really picky on how you invoke your devices. I’m going to hold out for the Smart Home skill that they are still working on. With time this will need to improve so it can become more useful.

Jason thanks for all your help on this. At this time I consider this case resolved.

Jason
    Jason
    Surety

From what I have been told, improvements are on the way.

Happy to help out. Let us know if you have any other questions or issues.

Mark
    Participant

The “device does not respond to…” Issue isnt resolved yet

Jason
    Jason
    Surety

The “device does not respond to…” Issue isnt resolved yet

Currently, the proper way to control a fixture:

Say you have a light named “Living Room”

“Alexa, ask Alarm.com to turn on Living Room light”

Because it is not directly integrated as a Home skill yet, you must use “ask Alarm.com” and indicate the “light” portion at the end.

Mark
    Participant

Yeah but somehow for me it did initially work as a home skill, and it still turns off the fixture if i don’t say the ADC part. So was it initially enabled and then disabled and I’m just stuck in a limbo state?

Jason
    Jason
    Surety

Yeah but somehow for me it did initially work as a home skill, and it still turns off the fixture if i don’t say the ADC part. So was it initially enabled and then disabled and I’m just stuck in a limbo state?

I’m not sure why portions would function without, I haven’t been able to test this myself yet, but it should not be expected to function properly at this time unless using the full statements.

Does it work when using the full statement or do you see similar inconsistency?

u_winh
    Participant

Hi,

New to the forum but here’s my two cent on what’s going on with the integration. There was review on the Amazon Skills on how to set up the Smart Home feature for ADC and I had enabled both this and the skill from the link. So that’s when I realized that there are 2 different ADC skills. One is beta and the other is the commercial release. Now on Amazon skills you can see both ADC app but one is from Alarm.com and the other from Aaron Roberts.

The Beta version integrates it as a Smart home and Alexa is able to discover all my light devices. I am able to say “Alexa turn on kitchen lights”, but then Alexas would tell me that command does not work with that device and turns off that light. If I check the history I can see that an off command was sent to that light instead of on. It always sends an off command no matter the command.

The commercial version seems to work but with a few hiccups. It never understands what I say… Maybe I need to redo the voice training. I can’t say “Alexa turn on …” but I can say “Alexa, tell Alarm.Com to turn on …”and it will work. As other users mention, not very seamless integration. Just have to wait for the integration with Smart Home.

For those who said it worked in the beginning when they said “Alexa turn on…”… I’m thinking that ADC could have removed the smart home integration and put it in the Beta or they enabled the Beta from one of the reviews.

Jason
    Jason
    Surety

The commercial version seems to work but with a few hiccups. It never understands what I say… Maybe I need to redo the voice training. I can’t say “Alexa turn on …” but I can say “Alexa, tell Alarm.Com to turn on …”and it will work. As other users mention, not very seamless integration. Just have to wait for the integration with Smart Home.

Yep, ADC is indeed working to get this added as a Smart Home skill rather than general to improve the integration.

tattoohead
    Participant

Have had Alexa since it was available to Prime Members. Not impressed at all. It comes alive when I sneeze, skills aren’t categorized, BT pairing isn’t consistent..good on paper but who can memorize 30 gazillion ‘skills’ to use it efficiently?

Only thing I use it for now is a decent bluetooth speaker, and then the first couple of pairings usually fail. Plus my granddaughter likes her, she’s 3 and her name is Alexa. 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 114 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Log in or register here.

Value Proposition

Your home is your domain.
Connecting you with it is ours.

Learn about Surety whole home automation and security.

Just need cameras? Check out Surety 24/7 AI powered video.

Whether you’re a security system novice or a seasoned pro, everything we do is designed to make monitoring your Surety Home incredibly simple and enjoyable.

Guy Relaxing in Chair
New title
Five out of five star rating.

“I want to thank Surety for being so SIMPLE to setup… With Livewatch (Now Brinks) I had to call them for every single thing… then listen to sales pitch after sales pitch for new items. Surety, not a single call needed to be made… This is how a DIY service should be!!”

Devin S. , Surety Forum Review , 7/14/2019
Five out of five star rating.

“Could not recommend enough. The service is excellent and the price is unbeatable. We switched from another company where we felt like we were being taken advantage of; but not with Surety! This has been the best move for home security.”

Melissa C. , Citrus Heights, CA , Yelp , 4/26/2018
View more
Plans

We offer plans to fit everybody’s needs.

Shop Plans

No products in the cart.