ADT sensor compatibility with 2Gig GC3

Hello. I’m buying a house that has an ADT system. I believe I’ve read that certain types of systems use sensors that are compatible with the 2Gig GC3 system. There are several door sensors as well as two glass break detectors and one motion sensor. Obviously it would be ideal if I could use them. They all appear to be working. Can anyone verify that these will work with a GC3? Thank you.

Here’s a link in case the images aren’t visible: https://photos.app.goo.gl/BWAq1XGB3G6X57GTA

Apologies if this gets posted multiple times, but my two previous posts seem to have disappeared after I uploaded images.

Apologies if this gets posted multiple times, but my two previous posts seem to have disappeared after I uploaded images.

Sounds like the spam filter may have been too aggressive. That might happen if adding lots of media on a post.

The Honeywell 5800 series of sensors are compatible with 2GIG Panels out of the box. Looking at the photos, it looks like you do have at least some 5800 series sensors. The 5800PIR-RES motion detector, for example, is compatible.

The panel you are showing though is a DSC panel, not a honeywell, and the door sensor looks like a DSC one. (you would want to open the door sensor and look at the model number though, a lot of sensors use the same plastic housing)

There may be a wireless translator somewhere for the Honeywell PIR, or it might have been from a system before the DSC one and was just left there unused. It is difficult to say, but as far as compatibility goes, Honeywell 5800 series sensors would be directly compatible, DSC would not be.

If it turns out you have a lot of DSC sensors instead, you could use a translator like the RE524X to turn the DSC wireless signals into Honeywell/2GIG signals for use with the 2GIG Panel. This is often much more cost effective than replacement if you have 4 or more sensors.

I think you’re right that the door sensors are DSC. There is an older ADT alarm panel that’s disconnected. One door has an older non-working sensor and when I opened the PIR, the working panel did not detect a tamper condition so it may be from the older system.

I think it’s safe to assume that door sensors are DSC. There are 6 door sensors and 2 glass breaks. There are several smokes but I’m not sure if they are monitored. Given that, would it make sense to use a RE524X or go with a different panel that can use the sensors without a translator (and perhaps the existing smokes)? Or just replace everything? I see that the RE24X will not translate smoke detectors.

Can the QOLSys panels use these DSC sensors? Looks like there are various variants of the IQ2/2+ that support different sensor types.

Can the QOLSys panels use these DSC sensors? Looks like there are various variants of the IQ2/2+ that support different sensor types.

There is a model of Qolsys IQ Panel 2+ which uses a Power G and DSC radio which would allow you to reuse existing DSC sensors, including smokes. You would be looking for the QS9201-4208-840 or QS9202-4208-840.

I would check the replace by date on the smoke detectors however, and never try to use smoke detectors beyond that date.

I think it’s safe to assume that door sensors are DSC. There are 6 door sensors and 2 glass breaks. There are several smokes but I’m not sure if they are monitored. Given that, would it make sense to use a RE524X or go with a different panel that can use the sensors without a translator (and perhaps the existing smokes)? Or just replace everything? I see that the RE24X will not translate smoke detectors.

This would depend on the panel you wish to use. Probably the least amount of required equipment would be with the Qolsys IQ Panel 2+ with DSC radio, but if the smokes need replaced anyway it would be pretty similar in total cost to the GC3 and translator.

Ultimately the IQ Panel 2+ has the most features, with currently exclusive access to Alarm.com video and Skybell Doorbell video answering on the panel screen, bluetooth, etc.

Do you have the QS9201-4208-840 and if so, what is the price? I don’t see it on your site. QOLSys site shows it as “coming soon”.

Do you have the QS9201-4208-840 and if so, what is the price? I don’t see it on your site. QOLSys site shows it as “coming soon”.

We do not sell that model directly at this time. We support compatible models purchased from any vendor however, so long as the communicator is unregistered it can be used with our service.

I have not heard official availability dates for the DSC models, but I know it was delayed beyond the Honeywell and GE versions. It should be shipping soon if not already though. We’ll check with Qolsys for availability info and report back here.

We sell the GE radio version of the IQ Panel 2+.