ADC T2000 heat pump issue

Im replacing a Trane heat pump thermostat with the ADC smart stat but i cant get it to energize the reversing valve on the Trane xi14 heat pump. Wiring seems correct
7 wire as follows into ADC T2000
Red to RH with RC jumper on
White to W1
Black to W2 (Aux heat)
Blue to C
Orange to O/B
Green to G
Yellow to Y

Changed O/B in web interface but still only blows warm air in cool mode. Tested various times and reinstalled Trane thermo and it still operates the system properly. Im thinkig its a programming error on the web setup but not luck fiding it yet. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Orange to O/B

that usually controls the reversing valve (assuming all else is wired correctly on HP), but you need access to the Advanced and Installer tabs to properly configure the T2000.

see:ADC T2000 cannot be setup for two stage HP - Support - Surety Support Forum

looks like this:

(setup for a single stage heatpump with AUX heat)

If using a Heat Pump, can you verify the settings posted above? It looks like the last time this Tstat updated status it reported being set to “normal” HVAC type.

Red to RH with RC jumper on
White to W1
Black to W2 (Aux heat)
Blue to C
Orange to O/B
Green to G
Yellow to Y

Isn’t the x14 a single stage HP with AUX? If so, then you would not use the W2 (which is for second stage heat which should not be confused with Emergency/AUX heat). Is that the old EM/AUX heat wire? See if it comes off the W wire. Alot of tstat’s would just jumper it from W/W1 to EM. W is your first stage heat and EM/AUX wire.

R=RH (24VAC)
W=W (1st stage heat)

B=C (common/tstat power)
O=O (energizes reversing valve as cooling)
G=G (fan)
Y=Y (1st stage cool)

Y=Y
R=RH
G=G
O=O
C=C
W=W

I do have access to all tabs and it was set for heat pump although i noticed it would occasionally be checked for normal when I would confirm settings. Weird.

Thank you for the reply. I do think the black wire in W2 was from an original heat pump and thermostat i had replaced with the Trane XL14i split system heat pump with Trane variable speed air handler and Trane thermostat. In the Trane thermostat, the black wire was in the X2 slot which I think is for AUX/emergency heat. I can select emergency heat on the trane thermostat touch screen as well if that matters. There wasnt a jumper to W1 on thermostat or wiring in wall but i will check in the air handler and report back.

Could you use “Get Current Values” and post a screen shot of the tabs? Also, it looks like the ADCT2000 is reporting a malfunction currently. Do you have the T2000 connected now or are you using a different Tstat?

If you have the T2000 installed, the programming changes may not be reaching the Tstat. Your Tstat has not reported any neighbor nodes (other Z-wave Devices) that it can hear. The rest of the devices are reporting normally. I would suggest removing the Tstat from the Z-wave network and re-adding. Bring the panel within a few feet to add into the network again, then run a network rediscovery with the panel back in its normal spot.

Thank you for checking, I do not have the ADC t2000 installed and have been using my original until I could answer a few of the other guys questions. I will remove and re add it when i hook it back up and post the screen shots.

“Isn’t the x14 a single stage HP with AUX? If so, then you would not use the W2 (which is for second stage heat which should not be confused with Emergency/AUX heat). Is that the old EM/AUX heat wire? See if it comes off the W wire. Alot of tstat’s would just jumper it from W/W1 to EM. W is your first stage heat and EM/AUX wire.”

I checked in the air handler and the wire in question (X2 in trane thermo which I put into W2 on ADC2000) comes from the outside heat pump unit and into W2 terminal board on air handler. From there its goes to trane thermo port X2. All new wiring so not left over from old system I replaced this trane system with. Should I look in the outside unit to see it jumps from W there? As far as I know this is a single stage HP with AUX and emergency. I have reprogrammed several times which I think accounts for some of the wrong settings the other guys have seen but Im certain it was programmed right in the beginning.

You might want to call Trane in regards to the correct wiring/stages for the X14. What you may want to do is show a wiring schematic.

On the T2000, W2 is usually for second stage heat, not Aux/EM heat (which uses W as shown above on single stage heat pumps). Just because the x14 may wire the AUX Heat to W2, doesn’t mean that is how it will be wired on the T2000.

Depending on what Trane says, you may need to have Surety bump this up to ADC for proper wiring.

An example of a wiring schematic for a single stage HP with Aux:

Note- as you can see, this describes a second stage of heat (but there isn’t one), it seperates AUX heat from Emer heat (where they are treated the same on the T2000). This may be what you are encountering on your x14.

Here is the schematic I believe you were asking for. Looks like X2/W2 does tie to W1 at the heat pump.

Crap, sorry its upside down. I have called the dealer that installed and services my unit but they were no help since its not a thermostat they support. ill try and contact trane directly

Looks like X2/W2 does tie to W1 at the heat pump

If W2 is coming off W1 then they did the same as Carrier- separated Aux Heat from Emer Heat.

T2000 uses the AUX/EM the same (W1). Wire/program/install your T2000 as I showed above, and then test it.

Do not use the black W2 wire. Wire nut it (or snip/electrical tape it).

What I did is used the labels to mark wires. Mark the black as ‘AUX W2’ for future reference.

Edit

Looks like I confused myself abit earlier on the wiring of a single stage HP…W is not usually first stage heat; Y is.

R=RH (24VAC)
W=W (Aux/EM)
BLACK/W2= NOT USED
B=C (common/tstat power)
O=O (energizes reversing valve as cooling)
G=G (fan)
Y=Y (1st stage cool/heat)

null

null

I will try that today and report back. Thanks Riven

Well no luck with reinstalling without the W2/x2 wire. Same result. I have heat, just not cool. Still blows .warm air in cool mode. I did try switching O and B setting too. Im starting to believe the little warinings from Trane in their documentation about only using their thermostats for their heat pumps. lame. Can this be bumped to alarm.com for help like you said? Trane has zwave thermostat that i read was compatible with alarm.com. Does anyone know how it compares to the ADC-T2000?

Are you using all wires that were present in the Trane T-stat operation? How many conductors did the prior t-stat use?

Could you take a photo of the wiring/terminals at the Heat Pump?

Does anyone know how it compares to the ADC-T2000

Any compatible thermostat would have comparable capabilities through ADC, with the exception of the Remote Temp Sensor/ADC T-stat specific.

I will get that pic ASAP. Can you check the config on your end please. i reistalled it but didnt relize not to hit the yellow failed node icon to remove it so the website is still showing the original ID13 as a seperate thermostat with a malfunction.

We’ve requested an updated device list and the extra node is now showing as deleted. You may need to log out and log back into ADC to confirm.

Can you also post an image of the HVAC label with the model number details?

Programming looks correct (O/B designation would be determined by wiring) for what you describe.

I don’t actually see any legit documentation for an XL14i online. The model number sticker will have a more specific model number and a serial number.

Trane needs these numbers in order to provide documentation and assistance. The support rep I spoke to there indicated they did not have any documentation available using XL14i for their search.

It does sound like the problem is exactly as you describe, but switching the O/B designation in the ADC T2000 config should resolve the issue. If it does not, then there is possibly a wiring issue at play.

Earlier it was reported that if the existing Trane T-stat was re-introduced, everything worked. Could you list the wiring you use for that?

I wouldn’t think there would be a general incompatibility, but it is always possible. The photo of the heat pump terminals and the prior T-stat wiring info should help determine that.

Trane Thermostat info
model #: TCONT802AS32
R jumped with RC
O
G
Y
W1
X2
B (Trane C wire)

Trane Convertible Variable Speed Air Handler
model # 2TEE3F37A1000A

Trane XL14i Split System Heat Pump