ADC Sump Pump Monitoring

I just saw a Facebook ad for a new ADC sump pump monitoring device. Anyone have more information on this?

This is the blog post I’m referencing - http://www.alarm.com/blog/smart-sump-pump-monitoring

While I don’t have any information at this time I will be looking into it.

I couldn’t find any information on alarm.com sump pump monitoring other than above blost post. Would you guys any more details on the device availability?

Thanks

Certainly! There isn’t one product, specifically, that does all of this. It requires a Water Sensor and a Heavy Duty Smart Switch working together with Alarm.com.

The Heavy Duty Smart Switch tracks when the sump pump is running and the Water Sensor detects high water levels in the sump well. With these two working in tandem you can be alerted to issues with your sump pump through Alarm.com.

In order to utilize the sump pump monitoring function, you will need to be signed up for Gold Interactive and have Water Management activated.

Tyler,

Thanks for the information. I am signed up for Gold Interactive monitoring and interested to get this product, rather than spending money on a backup sump pump.

Is there any update on alarm.com sump pump monitoring system availability?

Thanks

It is not one particular part or product that is specifically designed for monitoring your sump pump. In the case of the previously mentioned blog post from Alarm.com, it is two separate parts.

It requires you to install a Water Sensor and a Heavy Duty Smart Switch. Depending on which panel you are using would determine the appropriate part to purchase. As an example, you could use a Resolution Products 119/219 Flood Temp Sensor and an Aeon Labs Heavy Duty Smart Switch, provided the smart switch works with your panel correctly.

The two working in tandem can detect when your Sump Pump fails (the Heavy Duty Smart Switch takes care of this function) and when the water level gets too high (this is the Water Sensor’s job).

In addition to having these installed, you need to be signed up for the Gold Interactive Package and have the Water Management add on activated.

One of the reasons I never implemented this is that my flood sensor is terribly unreliable. I’m pretty sure it’s a Honeywell 5821 with the conductivity flood probe. With the probe mounted at a useful level I was getting lots of false positives - I believe because of how much the water can splash around in the crock when it comes in. I had to move the sensor up to nearly the top of the crock to prevent these false reports, so I’ll still get alerted, but in reality it will probably be too late to prevent at least minor flooding at that point.

So my question - are there any recommendations for float sensors instead of the standard conductivity probe?

So my question – are there any recommendations for float sensors instead of the standard conductivity probe?

We do not work directly with float sensors, so we couldn’t give recommendations on any specific models, but yes, any float switch with a NC contact output designed to monitor rising levels would work with a wireless transmitter and will likely work better for your purpose.

If I am picturing correctly, are you using a floor mount probe inside the sump pump? This will still work, but may not be ideal I suppose.

Keep in mind if heavy sloshing occurs, float sensors may also be prone to false activation. Preventing the splashing from heavy influx of water will likely have better results if possible. Slosh guards are often used for actual sump switches. I wonder if you could use something similar with the existing probe.

So I have ran a RE119 Flood sensor in the the sump well about half way up. Now I plan to pick up the Aeon Labs ZW078-A.

Do I simply cut the plug off the cable of my sump pump, and directly wire it into the Aeon Labs, then plug that in?

Once I do that, sync with panel (already have Gold Plan), how do I make these 2 specific items work together and show correctly as “Sump Pump Monitoring” in the Water Management section? I have 3 flood sensors now, and none of them show in water management. Thanks for the clarification and help on this!

I’ve attached a wiring diagram for the Heavy Duty Switch.

Flood sensors would be used to generate notifications. The goal with the two devices is to monitor whether the water level is rising (flood sensor) or the Sump-Pump power is lost or it is not operating (HDS).

Also attached is an image showing the Sump Pump settings. Once a Heavy Duty Switch is found, you can select the configuration gear on the Sump Pump card and choose the appropriate water sensor to link to it.

Extremely helpful! So, it looks like I am going to be working with the 120 single phase. I am thinking I will simply take a 3 prong extension cord, cut it in half, wire each side to the heavy duty switch. Then I can plug my sump pump in to the female, and the male into the wall outlet. Is that feasible?

Then I can plug my sump pump in to the female, and the male into the wall outlet. Is that feasible?

That is something I would consider so that the device needn’t be spliced into the Sump power cable, however you may want to make sure the extension cable is not a smaller gauge like 18 (as is possible with shorter extension cables I think) I would strongly suggest consulting a licensed electrician regarding the installation of any high voltage devices.

That is something I would consider so that the device needn’t be spliced into the Sump power cable, however you may want to make sure the extension cable is not a smaller gauge like 18 (as is possible with shorter extension cables I think) I would strongly suggest consulting a licensed electrician regarding the installation of any high voltage devices.

Sounds good. I purchased a 14 AWG extension cord. Table 310.16 in the NEC code book states 14 AWG should be good for up to 20A, though a lot of people say to use for only up to 15A.
Talking to my electrician, he believes max draw on the sump pump is 13A, so I should be covered either way. This will allow me to easily remove/move/exchange the smart switch if/when necessary and make an easy install.

Once I get it wired up and tests good I’ll post up a pic and results here. Thanks!

I got it wired up, added it as a z-wave device on a Qolsys IQ2 Panel. However, the only option I see is a light switch. Does the IQ2 panel not support it, or am I doing something wrong? Thanks.

I see it showing up in ADC as an Energy Meter under the Energy tab. I do not see a sump card under water.

Hmm, I do not see options on our end to add a sump pump and configure which sensor it is attached to, which should be visible with a Heavy Duty Switch.

There may in fact be a difference due to the IQ Panel 2. We are following up with Alarm.com and determining whether this is a panel limitation currently. We will update this thread once they get back with confirmation.

Qolsys shows it as compatible here:
https://qolsys.com/compatible-devices/

Should I reach out to Qolsys support as well, or just wait for ADC to respond first?

Thanks!

While compatible with the Qolsys panel itself, there may still be an issue with syncing with ADC.

Typically we will be able to see the option to “Add a Sump Pump” and assist with configuration, but this is not present on your account despite the heavy duty switch being installed. The issue would likely need to be resolved or directed by ADC.

Just to make sure we have all the info, could you provide the exact model number and revision of the Heavy Duty Switch? If possible the manufacture date if on the label.