ADC state device limit of 10

Is there still a 10 device state limit on ADC / 2Gig panels? If so what are the alternatives with this current panel to show the state of additional zwave devices on my automation network

To clarify, this is regarding Z-wave Lighting devices, not all Z-wave devices.

Due to a patent issue, Z-wave lights cannot update the panel with their status when changed locally. The panel must poll the switches to determine status. In order to have an accurate status, this polling needs to be fairly constant. The light status capability is based off of Alarm.com rules saved at the panel.

Only certain panels are compatible. The limit of 10 is needed to ensure no impact on the alarm system function as the rule must be processed continually throughout the day, devices pinged for their status.

All panels compatible with light status polling currently have a limit of 10. This total cannot be altered, but you can select the devices you wish to view the status of if you have more than 10.

A related thread can be found here.

On the phone currently with ADC — they’re stating that zwave plus devices report state once and do not require continuous polling. These do not apply to the rule of 10 max as the non zwave plus do. I am going to try this to see if they are correct. Also, they did acknowledge that the patent with Lutron has expired.

On the phone currently with ADC — they’re stating that zwave plus devices report state once and do not require continuous polling. These do not apply to the rule of 10 max as the non zwave plus do. I am going to try this to see if they are correct. Also, they did acknowledge that the patent with Lutron has expired.

I believe the related patent is USOO5905442A, and yes it may be expired (it has been beyond 20 years anyway since the first filing, though the actual patent date on pdfs I am seeing has a date in 1999).

The latest ADC instructions mention nothing regarding your comment here, but a couple ADC reps over the phone indicated that this was correct and Z-wave plus devices will instantly update status at this time. So a way to get around the limitation would be to use Z-wave plus devices.

We have not tested this yet on the Go!Control panel, but we’ll see if we can test and verify any limitations.

The latest ADC instructions mention nothing regarding your comment here, but a couple ADC reps over the phone indicated that this was correct and Z-wave plus devices will instantly update status at this time. So a way to get around the limitation would be to use Z-wave plus devices.

I have thirteen Zwave Plus light switches connected to a Qolsys IQ Panel 2. All thirteen report instantly to the panel, and the panel shows the current status of all thirteen switches at any given time. However, alarm.com only shows the status of 10 of them. So, unless there is something that needs to be enabled on the back-end by my service provider, alarm.com appears to still only shows the current status of a maximum of 10 switches regardless of them being Zwave Plus or not.

I have thirteen Zwave Plus light switches connected to a Qolsys IQ Panel 2. All thirteen report instantly to the panel, and the panel shows the current status of all thirteen switches at any given time. However, alarm.com only shows the status of 10 of them. So, unless there is something that needs to be enabled on the back-end by my service provider, alarm.com appears to still only shows the current status of a maximum of 10 switches regardless of them being Zwave Plus or not.

We couldn’t say whether any unique processes would be in place for another dealer, though it is unlikely.

When were they learned in?

Try removing one of the lights from the panel which do not show status on ADC, wait five minutes, and then relearn it into the panel. Does this change the behavior?

When were they learned in?

Three new ones were learned yesterday afternoon. The original 10 were months ago.

Try removing one of the lights from the panel which do not show status on ADC, wait five minutes, and then relearn it into the panel. Does this change the behavior?

I can toggle status on or off for 10 of the 13 lights in my home on alarm.com. However, if I try and toggle status on for an 11th, I get an alert that I can only have 10 actively monitored for status at any one time. I then turned off an older learned switch (one that was reporting fine) and turned on one of the new ones learned in over the weekend, and the new one reported status just fine. However, as I stated before, if I try and turn on status for the remaining three, I get an alert that only 10 can be monitored at a time through alarm.com.

What are the model numbers of the lights you recently added? What is the firmware version of your IQ Panel 2?

All of my wall outlets are GE Zwave Plus plug-in modules (28169), and all of my light switches are Zooz Zwave Plus switches (ZEN23). The three I just added were two plug-in modules and one switch. The firmware of my panel is the latest I am aware of: 2.2.1.

To make sure we are on the same sheet of music:

1. All plug-in modules and light switches report to the panel instantly and the panel correctly reflects the state of each device.
  2. ADC is aware of all of the plug-in modules and light switches, but will only show the current state of 10 of them. I can pick and choose on ADC which 10 to show out of the thirteen in total, but I can not choose more than 10. When I do, I get an error message that I can only pick 10.

ADC sent me some clarification. There is no documentation yet, but they have explained that this is only supported on certain Z-wave plus devices at this time. They actually said the devices themselves don’t support it yet, but I think that was a translation error between the tech team and the rep who sent the email, if the devices update the panel immediately.

Note that you would need to see the status update immediately on the panel without any intervention. If you tap “Get Status” that is not an automatic update, that’s the panel polling the device. If they update dynamically though, that would indicate they have the ability to provide immediate status.

Currently ADC states only the GE/Jasco and Evolve lines of light switches are officially supported in this way. No plug-in modules are officially supported yet according to ADC response. (likely why it doesn’t have official docs yet) Any other light models would be treated as regular Z-wave devices as far as status is concerned.

It is a new feature being integrated, so as long as devices instantly update the controller, they should be able to do so on the ADC back-end soon.