2GIG SP1 home button is solid red

My GC3-SP1 home button is solid red all the time. Looking at the fingertip guide for the GC3, it seems like it should only be solid red in a couple specific scenarios: “Solid RED during the Exit Delay countdown and when armed. … Solid RED during Exit Delay countdown.”

I’ve gone through the system test and I figured it would do some sort of reset when the test failed with no luck. All the button-color tests failed (except red for home and white for emergency). Any idea what’s going on here?

Have you tried power cycling the SP1?

Remove all power from the SP1, unplug transformer, then unplug internal battery. Wait a minute, then plug in battery, followed by the transformer.

Any change?

I power cycled the SP1 two times following the steps you posted. It did the whole booting screen thing and then had to reconnect to the main unit. Still solid red home button and solid white emergency button.

Do you see any difference when opening sensors? Does the light turn off as it would normally?

What is the firmware version of your GC3 and what is the version of your SP1?

So uhhh… three months later. Still happening.

> Do you see any difference when opening sensors? Does the light turn off as it would normally?

The light on the SP1 does not turn off when opening doors with sensors. The light on the GC3 does turn off as normal when opening doors with sensors.

They both broadcast audible messages when doors with sensors are opened such as “front door”.

> What is the firmware version of your GC3 and what is the version of your SP1?

They are both on firmware version 3.1.3 and neither show an update available.

3.2 is the latest firmware for the SP1 and GC3. Can you please try updating the firmware via USB drive and test?

Firmware links can be found in this thread.

The GC3 updated without incident. (note: I’m pretty sure ExFAT formatted usb drives can’t be read by either. I reformatted to FAT32 and it worked fine with no other changes. I couldn’t find this recommendation in any docs or forums, though I didn’t look too hard.)

The SP1 is consistently failing on the step “Restoring security processor…” with the message “Failed to restore security processor!” It then just reboots into the screen that says “Device connected and paired with control panel.”

Something I noticed during the firmware update process was that the GC3 flashed the bottom button’s light in various colors, including occasionally green. The SP1’s bottom button light never flashed green and only jumped between white and red.

I’m not seeing a related Surety Alarm.com account. Is this service through an alternate provider? I was going to look at back end logs.

So is the SP1 still showing firmware version 3.1.3?

If so, try defaulting the SP1 (hold down face buttons for ~30 seconds), delete it from the GC3, power cycle the SP1, and apply the update. Any luck?

Then re-pair.

> I’m not seeing a related Surety Alarm.com account. Is this service through an alternate provider?

I don’t have any remote monitoring on my system. I realize now this isn’t 2gig’s own support forum but your own proprietary forum, and I understand if that means this is the end of the road for this thread. Thanks for everything you’ve done so far. You might as well be 2gig’s own support forum because as far as I can tell, this is the primary place to find Q&A about the GC3 products. It’s a massive benefit to the community and I hope 2gig recognizes that!

Followup update for you if you plan to continue helping me or for anyone following along from a Google search:

• I defaulted the SP1.
  • I deleted it from the GC3.
  • I power cycled the SP1.
  • I tried applying the update. Same failure.

Now I’m also struggling with reconnecting the SP1 to the GC3. I paired them via WiFi but the SP1 just stays in the “Device connected and paired with control panel” screen. I paired them via Access Point and without the USB plugged into either of them, the SP1 has tried updating firmware twice and failed both times. Now it’s stuck on the “Device connected and paired with control panel” screen.

If this is the end of the road for support, I’ll probably end up reverting the GC3 back to 3.1.3 if it’s possible to get back into the state I started in. I’d be happy to keep debugging this though. I wish there were a way I could read the logs from the GC3/SP1 either with a USB stick or by directly connecting the device to my laptop.

Just tried the downgrade back to 3.1.3 and it failed. Searching around, I don’t think downgrades are supported.

I hope I’m not stuck with a bricked SP1 now, but that’s what it’s looking like. :’(

No, downgrading firmware is not possible.

It is very strange that the SP1 will not accept the firmware update. We have seen a similar bug on the GC3 itself in the past on prior firmware versions. I’ve also seen it take a few tries for the firmware to be successful.

There is likely something timing out in the code, or there may be a hardware fault on your SP1. I would consult the vendor of the SP1 to determine warranty options.

Prior issues with the GC3 updating were resolved in subsequent firmware releases. We will notify 2GIG of the issue, but it may be best to try for replacement since there is no guarantee a fix would be coming anytime soon.

I wish there were a way I could read the logs from the GC3/SP1 either with a USB stick or by directly connecting the device to my laptop.

There are no trouble logs aside from panel history. Watching the update progress and noting any error numbers is best.