2Gig SMKT3 Smoke, Heat, freeze Detector

So I currently have the 2Gig Smoke,heat, and freeze detector (SMKT3-345) and my GoControl is going bonkers with it. Low battery alerts!!! I swap batteries to a generic and they last several months. I change to the recommended Energizer E92’s this evening and it worked calmed the GoControl down, but it started beeping like the batteries were bad. I leave for dinner and return to the GoControl going crazy again about the batteries being bad. I remove batteries and see where one contact looks slightly corroded where the battery touches.

My question is, is this thing toast? Does it need replacing? If I replace with the same make/model is there there a way for SDIY to program it identical to the one I am replacing or will it require me to perform digital surgery again?

I think I got this one with the panel from SDIY already programed.

Sincerely,
Smokeless in Louisiana

I leave for dinner and return to the GoControl going crazy again about the batteries being bad. I remove batteries and see where one contact looks slightly corroded where the battery touches.

Corrosion could definitely cause issues. I’d bet that would just be the underlying issue. To confirm could you post a photo of the corroded terminal?

If I replace with the same make/model is there there a way for SDIY to program it identical to the one I am replacing or will it require me to perform digital surgery again?

In general it is always best to program sensors locally as that will help confirm full functionality. The detector should then be tested after installation. The following video goes over how to program the SMKT3 smoke detector.

If unable to add it or you’ll be off-site, it can be added remotely if purchased through Surety, this can be done by submitting a secure message here when ready to replace the detector, but testing it locally is still required after installation. Be sure to indicate the zone name that is to be replaced.

Jason, the little amount of corrosion (or battery acid) on one battery contact of the device was scratched off using a small screwdriver, trying to clean it and allow it to function properly. No bueno!

I just ordered a replacement (order 281706) and requested SDIY program it to replace devices 2, 3, and 4 in my panel. I stated it in the order notes AND using the link you provided above. Thanks. --J

Checked with customer service, it appears the order has been received. They will follow up with you directly once your order has been processed.