2GIG motion sensors barely work

Two “2GIG-PIR1-345” sensors barely pick up any motion.

I tried various settings: high / low, 33lb / 55lb. during day light, during night. with lights on, with lights off…

I have two of them: one works only after I walk around for about two minutes all over the room. Another one works only “sometimes” (quite rarely) at the times I could not yet reproduce easily.

They are both installed at 7 feet in the corner.

What can fix it? I doubt that 2GIG motion sensors plainly don’t work, so it could be something simple I am overlooking, such as bad batteries (but you guys just shipped these to me).

I have pir1’s, and they work fine for me. Once you arm, you need to give them approx. 2-3 min

They should be mounted at 7.5’. in my case, I do not use a bracket, and mount to corner. I use high sensitivity, pet immunity 33lbs.

If GoControl, check programming (programming for GC3 will be slightly different):

(04) Interior follower
(2) motion
(0869) pir
serial
Equip age (0) new
Dialer delay (0) disabled
voice descriptor
Reports (1)enabled
Supervised (1)enabled
Chime (00)disabled

Testing 2GIG PIR1 motions:

thanks for the details. I checked the way it is programmed, it matches your numbers.

also double checked the batteries: both are good.

have it set on 33lb and high sensitivity.

I have them both installed very similarly to the video above.

they still quite fussy: i.e. picks up motion “rarely and sometimes”.

2GIG PIR1-345 (and any battery operated image sensor) uses a power save feature to keep from draining the batteries too quickly. There is roughly a 3 minute delay between local activation where the PIR resets after an activation and registers the background thermal image.

Continued movement in the range of the detector will often prevent it from resetting, so counter-intuitively, the more you try to set it off the less likely you will.

In order to properly test a real scenario, arm the system “Away,” stay out of the motion detector view for at least 3 minutes, then walk into range to test.

You can also use the Sensor Test option on the control panel, but this will also require waiting 3 minutes out of view, and if using a GC3, we’ve noticed some inconsistencies with the Sensor Test that need to be addressed by firmware.

Sure, will try that.

I did try waiting 5 minutes, but was using GC3’s “Walk Test”, did not know they had a firmware problem with it.

A couple of questions before I try it:

1. Should I call a central station to put the device in test mode?
  2. Should I disable the sounder, or the siren will not go off right away, and I will have time to disarm the panel?
Should I call a central station to put the device in test mode?

You can place all signals in test mode at any time, then later take the account off test by calling back in. Yes, you should make sure the account is on test before setting off alarm signals as a test.

Should I disable the sounder, or the siren will not go off right away, and I will have time to disarm the panel?

Motion detectors set as interior follower will trip the siren immediately once triggered. Disabling the sounder is up to you, there is no other operational impact to disabling it.

|“we’ve noticed some inconsistencies with the Sensor Test that need to be addressed by firmware.”

I purchased Honeywell 5800PIR-RES motion sensors instead of 2gig. But still, only got about a 10 feet range. Any ideas for better motion detection?

only got about a 10 feet range.

That’s far under the expected range.

The first thing I would check is that the detector is right side up. See the orientation here. The smoother inserts should be on the lower half.

Second, the 5800PIR-RES should be mounted between 7-9 feet off the ground. Mounting it lower or higher can heavily affect performance.

Do either of these help the issue?

“Do either of these help the issue?”

Yes it did helped. Orientation was ok, but the height was around 6 feet - it was my attempt to stay under 3 hanging lights. I also noticed big changes between 7 and 9 feet. Basically, you need to play around with locating motion sensors and stay within guidelines.

Question? is there a motion sensor that shoots across 55 feet of open space? Trying to cover living room, dinning room and kitchen with the least amount of sensors.

Thanks for your professional help.

There typically won’t be wireless detectors with that sort of range, (none that I know of anyway) but you could use a wired externally powered one along with a DW10 as a wireless transmitter.

Something like the IS2560 might work. Keep in mind typically none of the wider range detectors will have pet immunity.