2GIG Go!Control Transformer Location

This control panel uses a 12V transformer for its power source with a 4-ft wire. If the panel is mounted on the wall, you will see the wire dropping down to the electrical outlet. This is not particularly pleasing to the eye. Any suggestions about how to hide the wire and/or transformer? How do others deal with a wall-mounted panel’s power source? None of the sales literature show it with the transformer wire. Attached is a picture of a Vivint’s Go!Control panel but there is no transformer wire. How did they do that?

vivint_home_slide1.jpg

Transformer is 14VDC, 1700mA

Use a coat hanger (or fish tape), run wire behind panel in wall for main panel and TS1… For longer behind wall runs, use a keyhole saw to cut a narrow trench to push wire into, then patch with DAP, sand, and repaint.

Thanks. It appears the wire is hidden behind the transformer at the bottom of the outlet cover. I’m guessing that a small hole was cut in the drywall below the outlet cover and the wire was pulled up, behind the wall to the panel.

Often we run the wire down the wall into the basement and plug into a receptacle on the unfinished side of the basement. If you have a laundry room or closet with an outlet you can put the panel on the other side of that wall and run the wire straight through the wall into the laundry room. On the upper floor if there is a receptacle in the attic you can run the wire up the wall into the attic.

Thanks rive and Ryan. Both suggestions are good ones. I have to install a new outlet for the control panel to locate it where I want it to be. I’ll try the basement location first, just because I don’t have to mess up any drywall (I hope!).

Thought I would add to this old thread since it helped me decide where to mount my IQ Panel. I have a wall in my kitchen right where we frequently enter the house from the garage. Behind that wall is a cubby hole for the refrigerator which happens to have an outlet behind it for the fridge, and one outlet not being used. I drilled a hole all the way through that wall and ran the power cable to that outlet behind the fridge where nobody will ever see it. I then zip tied the power plug bracket/holder clip device thing so the power plug will never fall out on its own. I stapled the power cord along the wall next to the fridge just to prevent it from ever getting snagged when rolling the fridge out of position. As if that happens more than once a decade:) Thanks Ryan for your post about closets and laundry rooms because that opened up my mind to look for places to go straight through a wall. Even with my primitive wire fishing skills it was a piece of cake with a coat hanger and electrical tape. Maybe this will give someone ideas in the future.

Can this be used

Can this be used

If you are referring to powering an alarm panel, no. You should never use an alternate power source. Always use the included plug-in power supply to power your panel.