2GIG GC2 hardware and zwave versions, and ADC-T2000 RTS compatibility issues

I hijacked a thread, So I am moving that separate discussion here.

In summary, for those using the new RTS thermostat sensors, You NEED the new GC2 panel running the new zwave version 4.55. GC3 panels, and GC2/GC1 panels running older zwave versions (GC1 aka CP11 2.78 and GC2 aka CP21 3.42), are not compatible (or any event, not fully compatible).

Quote by Jason @Surety Feb 23, 2016: (Source)

[GC2] Z-wave version of 4.5X is needed for NWI and RTS

4.55 replaced 3.42? What firmware version panel release was this (1.13 or 1.14)? My panel is only alittle over a year old, and released with 1.10.1. I assume a 2015 release?

Can I get a screenshot of the inside of this new hardware panel? I am trying to document all GC2 hardware versions

2.78 zwave hardware version:

4.55 zwave version (2015):
(no image)

Pretty sure the newest version has no visible hardware changes since CP21. The latest Zwave version started with Panels with factory 1.13 firmware I believe. I am verifying that with 2GIG.

latest Zwave version started with Panels with factory 1.13 firmware I believe

This is why I always tell people to NOT be early adopters of new gear/equipment.

I imagine there will be many 2GIG users who invested in the RTS that do not have the correct zwave firmware to actually use them. Basically, unless you bought a brand new GC2 after April 2015, you don’t have the correct zwave version.

In my case, My panel was purchased Oct 31, 2014 (16 months ago)…less than 6 months prior to the 1.13 release, and is on zwave version 3.42.

Does ADC plan a workaround for compatibility?

hardware changes since CP21

Is the newer version of the GC2 referred to as the CP22? how are they differentiating between the hardware versions? (e.g., CP11, CP21, CP22?)

Does ADC plan a workaround for compatibility?

Not sure on that. As it uses NWI, not sure that would be possible for the RTS.

Partially why we have held off on selling them. A lot were sold without the vendors explaining or even knowing the base requirements.

Is the newer version of the GC2 referred to as the CP22? how are they differentiating between the hardware versions?

2GIG support still refers to it as a CP21. I’m awaiting a solid date code when z-wave version changed.

2GIG support still refers to it [GC2 with 4.55 zwave] as a CP21. I’m awaiting a solid date code when z-wave version changed.

Then that is problematic. How can one purchasing a new GC2 confirm they are receiving the newer hardware version with zwave 4.55 versus 3.42 if packaging and model are identical? verify that factory firmware is 1.13 or higher?

Problem with that is most dealers may simply update the firmware in house prior to retail/shipping.

I’m waiting on responses from 2GIG for a better description of the changeover and how to tell.

Maybe that explains the weird behavior I had with my rts. I stopped using it entirely.

At the time the RTS was released, was it documented that you needed the 4.55 zwave version? This seems to be a more or less recent revelation.

I don’t disagree with the perils of early adopting, but there is a pretty big distinction between buying a product that doesn’t necessarily work on day 1 and buying a product that will never work.

We’ve made requests for updated documentation on the RTS, but more specifically, from 2GIG on when the latest Zwave version was first shipped.

Unfortunately the RTS is the first and only such compatible device to have this requirement. Defining compatibility by firmware works for the other two compatible panels for the RTS (Simon and Concord) because their module firmware cannot be upgraded and Zwave version is tied to the module. Replacing the module assures both.

This is not true on 2GIG.

can I get a screenshot of the version tab showing the new zwave version.

thanks

Apparently it is more convoluted than that.

New panels show 3.42. Unfortunately, ADC is not referring to the Z-wave Version listed in the panel version screen. It is an internal build version. 2GIG does not release details about it (apparently not even readily to ADC) but generally, all GC2’s should be compatible.

It’s likely that it lines up 1 for 1 with 3.42 in the panel version screen, and they did say that anything with symbols under the emergency button is technically what 2GIG refers to now as a GC2. All GC2’s supposedly have this 4.5X internal Zwave build supporting NWI.

The internal build necessary for the RTS would have had to be available from near the beginning of development for the device I would think, so it makes a lot more sense than a brand new revision.

So, if you have an older panel showing 2.78 in the version screen and the word “Emergency” on the front, the RTS will definitely have problems.

While the answers were not as solid as I would hope, you should be ok with either B or C from your above image.