2GIG GC2 3G/4G Cell modules activation sunset (June, 2019)

Apparently ADC no longer allows 3G/4G (Verizon/AT&T) cellular modules to be activated/reactivated as of June 2019.

And apparently come 2022, 3G/4G networks will be completely phased out in favor of LTE and 5G.

I am still using the AT&T 3G cell module, wondering if this may potentially cause communication issues with ADC (regarding arming/disarming/automation) or if for all general purposes, I should experience no significant issues and can just upgrade the cellular module at some point later on (within the next year or so).

I want to avoid communication/performance degradation.

Is there an AT&T, TMobile LTE GC2 module?

All I can seem to find is the LTE/VoLTE Verizon module (2GIG-LTEV1-A-GC2). It requires FW 1.19 (which I am currently on).

Apparently ADC no longer allows 3G/4G (Verizon/AT&T) cellular modules to be activated/reactivated as of June 2019.

This is not correct, 4G is not affected. For 3G modules however, CDMA and HSPA, they can no longer be activated.

And apparently come 2022, 3G/4G networks will be completely phased out in favor of LTE and 5G.

To clarify, 4G = LTE. 4G is not being phased out with 3G. 3G is seeing an upcoming sunset date, correct.

I am still using the AT&T 3G cell module, wondering if this may potentially cause communication issues with ADC (regarding arming/disarming/automation) or if for all general purposes, I should experience no significant issues and can just upgrade the cellular module at some point later on (within the next year or so).

I want to avoid communication/performance degradation.

There is no official expectation of quality loss, though closer to the end date you may notice some effects on signal strength. It’s best to update well before the sunset, but you’ve got some time before that is likely necessary.

Is there an AT&T, TMobile LTE GC2 module?

There is a brand new AT&T LTE module now that the newest firmware version 1.19.3 supports. 2GIG-LTEA-A-GC2 is the model number. That model should be available through our store shortly.

This is not correct, 4G is not affected. For 3G modules however, CDMA and HSPA, they can no longer be activated.

‘4G’ and ‘4G LTE’ are not the same.

4G is HSPA+ many are confused about this. ‘4G’ is really just enhanced 3G.

Only LTE is real 4G (must be ‘4G LTE’) as stipulated by the standard.

For example, look at any TMobile device that is ‘4G only’ it doesn’t support LTE. It is HSPA/HSPA+.

HSPA+ is hyped 3G technology.

That’s why you see 4G, and 4G LTE (or just LTE, LTE+, or LTE-A). 4G when it shows on your device is really a HSPA+ (3G) connection.